Moving Reports From Crystal Reports Between Machines

A windows computer had both Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and Microsoft SQL 2008 installed. I experienced no problems until I started editing Crystal Reports. Everything worked great until I updated or added the report into the source code repository and people on other computers attempted to use the reports. No matter what we did, the reports failed elsewhere (the report tried to connect back to my personal machine).

The solution was “remove the old driver” from my computer. I accomplished this by removing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and leaving only Microsoft SQL Server 2008. I am now able to create or modify a report with a connection that connects to a database on “localhost”, and that is retained when the report is moved to a different computer.

How annoying, even if Crystal Reports is kind of fun to use.